2008-10-14

Less mind, more core!

There is something constructive about walking that appeals to me. I may walk in circles, but at least it’s not destructive. I just exist, and it's simple.

However, sometimes I fear ending up like one of those people in my hometown. They walk. Anyone can “take a walk” and trust me, everyone does in the countryside. But these people (I’ve identified at least two or three) don’t just take a walk like everyone else. They walk for hours, with a dead look in their eyes, and they walk fast. They walk in order to escape themselves and the world around them. Of course, I haven’t followed these individuals around to see if they’re actually walking for hours or talked to them to confirm that they’re really escaping. I just know. I see it in them, as I see it in myself.

It must be the same when you go to the gym. You turn yourself off for a while and come out a seemingly better person. But you also know that you don’t want to end up like that bony woman in her functional lycra outfit or the big muscly man in his late thirties. They’ve lost perspective, they have dead eyes and they seem to always be in the gym. They’re hooked. And for each surplus hour spent in the gym, they are losing one small part of their humanity.

Why is it that everything constructive has a destructive side to it? Why can’t we have something that is only good. The dualism of it all is killing me. Or at least it makes me sigh.

And now I wish we had a Jedi Gym.

3 comments:

tiny said...

you think way too much!

and once again, the outside belies what lies beneath...

så jag håller verkligen med dig. man kan inte lita på någonting!

Mousse said...

And you use too complicated words in way too complicated expressions!

Belie!?

Men ja.

Jedi gym rockar fett, ja?

tiny said...

'tis indeed awesome!

jag vill vara med, sen kom den där mannen... nu vill jag hellre prenumerera.